8 Points to Help Choose a Web Designer
When you are getting your website designed you will have to decide on a web designer. There are so many options that it would be hard to know who to go with. Here are some tips to help you decide in your web designer.
- Are they using Responsive design? This has become one of the most important aspects of modern web design. Because of the rising use of mobile devices such as smart phones and tablets you have to make sure that your website adapts to different screen sizes. Insist on responsive web design.
- Are they using a CMS? Do they use a Content Management system (CMS) such as WordPress or Joomla. Most designers use a CMS now and it is a great way to add updates to your websites. They are designed so that users can login and change the content in a website easliy. If you are thinking if adding a blog this is essential.
- Do they know HTML and CSS? Ok this is the geeky part and I don’t expect everyone to know what these stand for. Essentially HTML and CSS are the languages that websites are built in. If someone calls themselves a web designer and doesn’t know the basics then they are not a web designer. A good designer will be able to create any design for you using these tools.
- What qualifications do they have? I think that this is becoming more relevant as the industry grows. It shows that the designer is serious about what they do and that it shows professionalism. Anyone can download WordPress and start adding pictures and content but there is far more to web design than this. Look for qualifications from Adobe or in Web design.
- Have a look at their portfolio? This is a very simple one will give you a good idea of what the designer style is and if you like it.
- Can they do SEO? Not every web designer can do Search Engine Optimisation. But they should at the very least know the basics. If your web designer won’t include SEO then you are going to have to find someone that does. A good web designer will now how to do SEO. If they are a little more expensive this is because they are adding value to your website.
- Are they going to host it for you? Most web designers will do this for you for a small annual fee. Find out where there servers are located. Having your hosting in the country where you are located is good for SEO.
- Meet them for a cup a coffee: You’re going to be working with this person and it’s a good idea to get to know them a little. Websites require maintenance and you need to know that you can work them. This cup of coffee could save you in the long run.
So if you are thinking of getting your website revamped or starting from scratch it’s a good idea to have a web designer that you can work with it. A good designer is going to help you through the process and create a great website for your business. It can be a lengthy process and its better to build a partnership with someone so that your website can grow with you.
8 points to help choose a web designer
Eight simple tips to help you choose a web designer. A simple guide to help you choose a designer for your website.